Wednesday, December 3, 2008

7, not 6

Cody is a very clumsy child. He falls...alot. He is very coordinated, but he also seems to hit walls, floors, doors more than any other child. The other night, I asked him to run (my mistake) and get some toilet paper for Shea. He took off and two seconds later I heard the crash. I always check for blood first and this time, it was gushing. Once we were downstairs I checked the wound, it was long and wide. I have learned from past ER visits that these two things together usually mean glue, stitches or staples. So, off the ER we go. Cody was being so big in the backseat all by himself holding the towel on his head. The ER was full so we waited and waited. Cody ran around a little bit. He colored. He begged for candy. This whole time I am double thinking my decision and debating whether or not to leave. Finally, they call us in and the nurse checks him out. He tells Cody he will need staples and begins the numbing and cleaning. After seeing how bad it really was, I was grateful that I didn't leave the ER. It was not fun and since he cried, Cody keeps trying to tell me that he wasn't brave, but I think that to endure what he did without moving was extremely brave. In the end, the nurse told us there were six staples (beating Shea's 3). The next morning we counted and there were actually seven. The nurse was wrong. Here is the kicker. That night I was walking Cody to bed and I noticed a dent in the corner of the wall and the paint and drywall were cracked. I think we were lucky that only seven stitches were needed. Maybe a new wall.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ow! Poor Cody! How in the world do you do that just running into a wall? That is one talented kid!

Emily said...

Ouch! Sounds painful--I would have been crying right along with Cody.

Melissa said...

Okay, we have yet to have staples. I know I will regret saying that. But I have to admit, staples are probably better than what I thought this post was about. "7, not 6" as in one new member of the family. You can shoot me later for saying that too.