Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Mixer







I do not bake. I don't enjoy the mess or the clean-up. It doesn't make me feel any less like super mom to open a package of pre-made dough and call it a day. BUT, for some reason, yesterday, in a moment of weakness, I bought chocolate chips. We were going to make cookies, gosh darn it. When we hit a peak of good behaviour, I started compiling the ingredients. Cody was digging in the fridge looking for the package of cookies. I tried explaining to him that we were going to MAKE the cookies but his 4 year old brain could not comprehend something it has never seen. My son did not know that cookies could be made from scratch. Has he ever seen flour? At an even weaker moment than the purchase of chocolate chips, I pulled out the Kitchen-Aid. Now I know Cody has never seen this because it has been in the box hidden in the pantry for ten years. So, Cody and I made cookies. I now remember why I don't bake. I ate at least a dozen cookies while they were still in the dough stage. Cody enjoyed the fruits of his labors with some milk at the end of a hard day. I debated whether or not to keep the Kitchen-Aid close at hand but in the end it went back into the box in the corner of the pantry. I'll try again in ten years.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

At least Shea and Alex know how cookies are "really" made. I'm glad Cody had that opportunity!!Love the pictures!!
Love Mom

chrissy said...

Heh heh... I feel like that sometimes!

The Walker Family said...

You are too funny. Everyone needs homemade cookies once in a while even if it is every ten years. :-)

Darrell said...

Em,

We have been making cookie dough for the last 2 months or so. first we have done this in a long time!!!(comfort food staple) We can not get enough dough. No cookies really even get baked. we have been eating ourselves sick. Maybe I should box up my mixer. Save me from gaining a more few pounds.

Marnie

Emily said...

I'm with you--I don't even own a mixer and if I try to make cookies they don't turn out anyway. I've been debating for a week whether to make cupcakes for our visiting teachees (and I use the word "make" loosely). I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I'll let you know the decision before the end of November!