Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Turkey Dash 2014

I really do not like to run.  I have never had a runners high.  I don't get an adrenaline rush.  I don't feel accomplished after a long run.  A few years ago I did a half marathon, just to check it off the bucket list.  I trained hard and was prepared.  After the race I didn't run again.  Well, I have a few kids that like to run.  So, I have started again.  We started small, a 5k.  We trained in the unseasonably cold Houston weather and again, we were prepared.  And the race was great.  It was fun to run next to Cody and Alex and it was satisfying to cross the finish line, but not because I accomplished something, but because I did it with the boys.  THEY accomplished something.  The older they get, the more I enjoy being with them.  Cody ran the entire thing without stopping.  I was so proud of Alex and Cody.  Shea, Zach and Steffen ran the one mile.  For them, it was enough.  Zach shot off like a bullet and then 10 feet later said he was done.  But, he is a trooper and finished it and even sprinted the last little bit.  

So, even though I hate to run, I want my kids to love it.  It is a free way to stay in shape and it can be done anywhere.  I hope that it continues to be something they enjoy.  And I guess that I can pretend that I love it too.

No comments: