Monday, October 25, 2010

I really hate to run...

This is my friend Julie. She is a real runner! She was there at the finish line to cheer me on. If it were not for her, I would not have any pictures.



In January we had the Activity Days girls write down their goals for the year. In a very weak moment I wrote down that I would like to complete a half marathon. I kind of forgot about it until around August when I found out about a marathon benefitting adoption. So, I had to do it. I started training. I am not a runner. I do not get that "runners high" that everyone talks about. I curse the entire run. But, Saturday when I crossed that finish line UNDER my goal time, it was an amazing feeling to hear my name announced over the loud speaker. Not only because I finished, but I actually accomplished a goal (maybe it it time to move on to cooking more) that I had made on a whim.

Adoption is very near to my heart and even though Shea and I sometimes just can not see eye to eye, I can not imagine my life without her as my daughter. I am so thankful for the sacrifices that had to be made by one person to make me a mom. I hope that by my running, someone else can get closer to what they want to be.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

It was so good to see a new blog. Go, Emily. I am proud of you. I love adoption, too and the wonderful blessing it has been in our lives.

Beth said...

Very impressive accomplishment and you look absolutely fabulous (especially considering what you just ran)!

The Walker Family said...

Way to go Em...I'm so proud of you. Now back to those classes:)